8.30.2011

Flood

Well, I've been putting off posting about this because it just irritates me. But on August 14th, while we were out running errands, something came loose on the water line in the guest bathroom toilet. We were gone 5 hours. We came home to 2 inches of water...IN THE WHOLE HOUSE. Not fun. Especially when we come home after 5 o'clock mass and we are starving. Bruce got on the phone right away with our insurance agent and I grabbed a big shop broom and started pushing water out. Dominik was running back and forth between the front door and the garage door to the house and just loving playing in the water. He was soaked, but I didn't care. I had gotten most of the water out and then I went to scramble to make Dominik dinner while Bruce was still on the phone with a water removal company. They came out pretty fast. In the meantime, I had started tossing together overnight bags for all of us. I didn't know where we were going, but I knew we couldn't stay there. Luckily we were house sitting for some friends and I had keys. I gave them a call to let them know we'd be staying there. We are very grateful that they live close! Bruce stayed at the house with the water removal company. They were there from 9 pm - 2 am. It was a long night for all of us. I won't bore you with all of the details, but by Wednesday morning the house was completely dry. We met with contractors and our insurance adjuster, who was able to cut us a check for the damage. Awesome and not awesome at the same time. Because of the amount of the check, we had to submit it to our mortgage company along with a huge stack of paperwork filled out by both us and the contractor. Needless to say the contractor was not very timely and 10 day later we finally got everything sent off. But now we have to wait for them to process the paperwork before we can schedule a 50% and 100% completion inspection, and THEN they will release the funds to pay for everything. NIGHTMARE. Did I mention that Bruce has been in Salt Lake City for work and I am 3 weeks from my due date? I would never wish this upon anyone. Last Thursday they were able to start replacing all of the baseboards and re-grouting the tile near the baseboards. Now we are waiting for the furniture restoration company to come get our furniture out so the contractor can remove the carpet pads and start cleaning everything. Hopefully this will get started by Thursday. This has been such a headache. And Dominik and I have been living in a hotel for almost 2 weeks. Thank goodness insurance is paying for that! We go back to the house everyday to check on it and move some stuff out into the garage so there is less for the furniture people to move. I am just ready to be back in my house, and pray that baby girl doesn't make an appearance before then!

No comments:

Post a Comment