8.18.2009

These boots were made for walking

Not really boots per se. I really don't think boots are very comfortable to walk in. Last night Bruce and I began taking (hopefully) nightly walks. We've been semi-motivated by Kiewit, they've created a walking program and if we participate we get prizes, namely a gift card, and who doesn't like gift cards? The other reason we are motivated is because I can actualy feel that it is getting "cooler" in this desert place that we live in. Even though the temps are still in the 100s+ during the day, it is actually feeling cooler at night-YAY! I'm gonna guess and say it cooled down to maybe 80 or so, which is a huge relief! So there we are at about 9pm, lacing up our walking shoes, and strapping on the pedometers. We were ready to go. Bruce was really interested in the whole pedometer aspect. He's never used one before and couldn't wait to check out how many "steps" he's taken. The walk was awesome, although Bruce complained that it was still too hot. I just enjoyed being outside and not feeling miserable and sweating my butt off. I also enjoyed looking at the stars. That's why I'm glad where we live, we can actually SEE the stars! If you live any closer to Phoenix, you miss out on those things. The damn city lights are so bright that you don't see anything. I'll keep you posted on the walks, hopefully we'll keep them scheduled :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shawna, so fun that you all are walking! My client is an avid promoter of walking as a means of decreasing blood pressure and risk of cardiovascular disease PLUS it increases optimism and enthusiasm. Obviously I love talking about walking :) Love the blog also!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job on the walk! I tried to make sure that I walked every day while pregnant! When it got too hot outside during the third trimester, I would just make laps around the call center (inside) several times a day! The walking will pay off later!

    ReplyDelete